Spring is approaching every year on 1 St september in Melbourne. Ayurveda suggests a better lifestyle to avoid Hay fever, Sinusitis or any other Respiratory tract related disorders that’s called Spring lifestyle.
“The Human body is made out of 5 elements” That are Either, Air, Fire, Water and Earth.
These 5 elements are combined together and make 3 Prakrities Called Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
VATA – Space + Wind
PITTA – Fire + Water
KAPHA – Water + Earth
Vata increases during Autumn and Winter. One should have Warm, oily, sweet food to pacify Vata. Which will increase Kapha in the system. That kapha accumulates in the body if it is more than the body needs. When the Sun is shining during the spring the accumulated kapha is melting and ‘Agni’ the digestive fire is becoming low or completely vanishing.
अग्निदोषान्मनुष्याणां रोगसङ्घाः पृथग्विधाः|
मलवृद्ध्या प्रवर्तन्ते विशेषेणोदराणि तु||९||
प्राणाग्न्यपानान् सन्दूष्य मार्गान्रुद्ध्वाऽधरोत्तरान्||१०||
(Charak Chikitsa 13/9-10)
Abnormalities of jatharagni (digestive power) lead to the morbid accumulation of the mala (dosha and bodily wastes) and in turn tend to cause multiple diseases and particularly udara roga. In the state of impaired jatharagni consumption of unhealthy foods further leads to indigestion and eventually causes accumulation of morbid substances. Thus formed pathology afflicts the functioning of prana vata, agni as well as apana vata which is destroying the channels upwards and downwards.
Impaired Agni means Slow digestion. It is the invitation of all diseases.
How to take care of yourself during Spring ?
- Your diet should consist primarily of foods and beverages that stabilize Kapha
- Choose foods that are light, dry, and warm like Popcorn, Veg. Soups
- Taste primarily pungent (spicy), bitter, or astringent like Turmeric in warm water.
- Avoid overeating
- Avoid foods and beverages that aggravate Kapha such as Leftovers, refrigerated and Frozen
- Avoid cold/ Oily such as Dairy products
- Avoid predominantly sweet, sour or salty in Taste.
Try to have this recipe from the 1st day of Spring to throughout the season.
5 ITEMS WHICH MAKES YOU YOUNGER, GIVES STRENGTH AND LONGEVITY.
20 Gm. Dry Ginger
5 gm Ajwain
5 gm Fennel seed
5 gm Cumin
5 gm Dry Coriander
- Take a flat pan
- Dry roast all ingredients separately(except ginger)
- Wait until it cools down
- Make a fine powder in a grinder
- Add double the amount(approx 80gm) of Raw sugar (powdered)
- Add ghee in it to make small round tablets like a Chickpea size. (about 1-2 gm/ tablet)
- Consume 2 tablets with warm water before each meal everyday.
- Can take up to 4 tablets a day.
Do not try this if you are suffering with hyper acidity.
Do not Do these things During Spring:
- Exposure to cold.
- Eating too much sweet ,meat ,fats, cheese, milk, ice cream, yogurt, fried food, excessive use of salt.
- Excessive intake of water.
- Taking naps after meals.
- Doing nothing (Just sitting on the chair/couch for long hours)
- Sedatives and tranquilizers.
- Doubts, greed, and possessiveness.
Are you still having problems with discomfort in the tummy, Cold, Cough, Allergic Rhinitis, Hay fever, Sinusitis or started getting old problems again?
Contact Dr. Khushdil to make an Appointment